2009/07/16

More about "so"

A few days ago, I was talking about "so".
http://upgradeenglish.blogspot.com/2009/07/so.html
Here's another mistake that I should have pointed out:
× It was so hot day today.
○ It was so hot today.
○ It was such a hot day.

× Sooooooooooooooooooooo cute baby!!
Sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!
Such a cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute baby!!

× I don't like so crowded trains.
○ I don't like such crowded trains.
The patterns you should notice are:
Such a _(adj)_ _(n)_!
So _(adj)_!
but never:
××× So _(adj)_ _(n)_!
This is an electronic drum. It's such a fun instrument to play, but I'm so busy that I don't get to play it as much as I'd like. I'm looking forward to Obon so that I can play it more.

Because you are reading this blog, I know you are so smart. Such a wise person as yourself will never make this mistake about "so" again, right?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー