2009/07/06

「menu」の正しい使い方

Sometimes I hear the word "menu" misused. Sometimes a menu is a document with many items on it. Those items include drinks, side dishes, main dishes, appetizers, desserts, soups, and other things.
menu メニュー、献立表{こんだてひょう}; 料理{りょうり}、食事

お菜 (おかず) (n) (1) (uk) accompaniment for rice dishes; side dish;
前菜 (ぜんさい) (n) relishes; hors d'oeuvres; smorgasbord; appetizer;
Other times, "menu" just means the list of dishes at a meal.
Watch out for mistakes like these:
× I would like to have this menu. <- strange... it sounds like you are ordering every item which is listed
○ I would like to have this item.
○ I would like to have this dish.
× What menu did you choose? <- strange... it sounds like the restaurant had different lists of dishes, maybe depending on the customer
〜 Which menu items did you choose? <- so-so
○ Which dishes did you choose? <- better
× There wasn't this menu last time I was here. <- strange...
○ The menu is different from last time. <- better, it means that several dishes have changed.
○ This item wasn't on the menu last time I was here. <- better, it means that there is one new item.

× You can get any menu. <- strange... it sounds like there is a choice about which list you choose from...
○ You can get anything on the menu.
In this sentence, the double possessive is strange:
× Your today's menu looks good.
○ Your menu for today looks good.
Remember this sentence. It's a common one.
What's on the menu? <- you saw "on the menu" above; it's a common phrase.
  • onthe menu《be ~》メニューにある[載っている]、計画{けいかく}[予定{よてい}]されている
My menu for this evening included this stir-fried zucchini with ginger and red peppers, root-vegetable soup with shredded tofu and egg noodles, and my favorite dark chocolate for dessert. I will have some almond tofu in a little bit, after finishing this post.
根菜 (こんさい) (n) root vegetable;

I hope you had a healthy and delicious dinner. What was your menu?

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

フォロワー